Search This Blog

Monday, October 31, 2011

Splurge vs Steal: Eyeshadow Primer

I absolutely love to wear bright, extravagant eyeshadow on a regular basis.  So I always try to get more with less. I have found that I can buy less expensive eyeshadows as long as I use a great primer underneath. (For those of you who have never used an eyeshadow primer, you should. It will give you super rich color that lasts all day without fading.)

In my search for an eyeshadow primer, I tried several different brands looking for a perfect fit.
Ulta Eye Primer, Pop Beauty Eye Magnet Primer NYX Shadow Base
Here is a list of a few of those primers that I have ranked in order of effectiveness:

1. LA Splash Eyeshadow Sealer/Base:
This is one circumstance where I have found the cheaper product works the best! This primer has a gel consistency and holds glitter and loose pigment like a magnet! I get compliments all the time about how rich my color looks, and my shadow and liner stays on through sleeping (naughty me, sleeping in my makeup!). Apply a THIN layer with the applicator and wait until it is almost, but not quite, dry to apply your liner and shadow. Keep your eyes closed while it dries or you could suffer creases. For a mere $6.99, this product lasts months and is a makeup lovers dream! (LA Splash also makes a mascara primer which is well worth it.)

2. Urban Decay Primer Potion:
This one is very effective for eyeshadows, but pricier than the previous. I also had a harder time getting glitter to stick to it due to its creamy consistency and felt like I needed more to make my shadow brighter. The benefit is that they make it in four different shades: Eden (dries matte nude), "
Sin" (a popular champagney shade), "Greed" (a yellow gold shade), and original (invisible nude). Price ranges from $10-$30, depending on the size and container type.

3. Tarte Lifted Natural Eye Primer with Firmatol:
Only slightly less effective than the UD, but has the added benefit of lid firming, a nice benefit for aging eyes. Also has the creamy consistency. A benefit of using Tarte is all the products are paraben, phthalate, sodium lauryl sulfate, petrolatum, synthetic dye and fragrance free. Plus, they don't test on animals! $20 for a small tube with an applicator.



4. Too Faced Shadow Insurance:
Another great product. Similar to the UD and Tarte, just pricier for less benefit. $18 for a pretty small squeeze tube.







There are several other primers out there. A few products I have only briefly used and would like to try more extensively are Ulta Eyeshadow Primer ($8-10), NYX Shadow Base ($6.99) and HD Shadow Base ($6.99), Pop Beauty Eye Magnet Primer ($18), and Palladio Herbal Eyeshadow Primer ($7.99).

What's your favorite primer?

1 comment:

  1. There is so much in this article that I would never have thought of on my own. Your content gives readers things to think about in an interesting way.
    top-5-best-eyeshadow-primers

    ReplyDelete