Search This Blog

Monday, December 7, 2009

Color Outside the Lines!

Makeup is NOT a tattoo, it washes off.  Unlike that barbwire armband that Pamela Anderson thought was a good idea back in the 90's.  I meet so many clients who admit they are afraid of color.  Or they "don't know what that brush is for, so I don't use it."  I say, use everything!  Your face is a clean canvas that you can create art on daily. 

That is how I got my start with makeup.  My mom & I would have Saturday date nights.  We would listen to old records from the 50's, eat peanut M&M's, & play with all the colors from her makeup drawer.  I was encouraged to put the bright blue on my cheeks and try something different because I could always wash it off if I didn't like it.  I learned quickly my face was a coloring book & I made the most of my steady hand.  This is how I learned to apply liquid liner before I was double digits.  With lots of trial & error, and not to mention makeup remover.  One day, after I was allowed to wear makeup, I took my look outside.  I've been smitten ever since.


I challenge all of you to pick the "wild" colors & "strange" brushes to create a look.  You will be surprised at what you will be able to create. 


I hope I have encouraged you to step outside of the box & play with colors.  Please send me pictures of your art & comments on your experience. 


Photo provided by Tatiana von Tauber

Cheers to you! 
xo jules

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I love what you did w/ur mom! My question isn't simple- what on earth is the right age for basic make up wearing and then just how much or what is "good enough" for a tween? Huh, sista! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question! I go to elementary schools & teach the girls good skin care habits. I feel if you learn early about how to clean your skin & protect it w/ SPF, you won't need very much makeup later. Age appropriate makeup for tweens, in my opinion, is lip gloss & powder. Toss in some glitter for good measure. Later add in clear mascara, nude shadow, & a light pink blush. It was so hard being the only girl who wasn't allowed to wear makeup, so I do think a little bit is a good thing. I really like this neutral pallet which would be a nice gift & that has safe colors. Not to mention it's under $20

    http://www.target.com/Sonia-Kashuk-Look-Organically-Natural/dp/B0016HQP00/ref=br_1_1?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=727907011&node=727907011&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=1&searchSize=30&id=Sonia%20Kashuk%20Look%20Organically%20Natural

    ReplyDelete