Search This Blog

Thursday, December 3, 2009

From the Hairstylist Heart: True Beauty

Do you know a beautiful person who's hiding behind their hair? 

Chances are, you problably do!  As a cosmetologist with clients of all races and ethinic backgrounds, I can safely say that many of my clients are hiding or have hid behind their hair.  I love when I meet a client for the first time and they say I don't want my hair as short as yours.  I think it's funny!  But at the same time, I completely understand what it feels like to have someone disregard what you say and just start cutting.  In the past, I have had my hair cut much shorter than I meant it to be.  So I understand!  With that being said, I believe most clients simply have a fear of being misunderstood.  Clients want a stylist to listen to what they want!  Another concern that a few of my clients have is the fact that their husband or significant other may love their long hair.  I am never suggest that a client make waves at home, however, maybe a compromise can be made.  Funny thing is sometimes when I have a client who's significant did not want her to cut her hair...LOVE it once they see it.

However, sometimes in life it's time for a change.  If you know someone who has had the same look for ages, then it is probably time for an upgraded look.  Whether short or long, sometimes little details can be where the change should begin.  Maybe the change is adding a side swoop bang or a full wispy bang.  Maybe it's adding layers to long beautiful locks.  Whatever the change is for you!  That is the key the change needs to be something that fits YOU!  Everyone is different...we all have different hair issues as well as time constraints that make us choose hairstyles that work for us. 

Now, don't get me wrong, I know that a ponytail is the quickest, easiest, and most classic do EVER!  But if that is a daily look for you...then it maybe time for a change.  Whenever I have a client who lives in a ponytail and wants to change her hair, I usually suggest a haircut that will not allow them to put their hair in a pony tail at all.  If it's not an option, then she will not be tempted.  Short hair is not for everybody!  So talk with your stylist to see what changes can be made that will work with your face shape, chosen career, and most importantly your personal style. 

Make sure whatever you and your stylist decide on is something that you will be able to style everyday.  It's wonderful to leave the salon with a new amazing haircut, but it is stressful the next morning when it's your turn to style it.  Be sure to have the necessary products at home to maintain your new style.  Your stylist will most likely make product suggestions to you.  However, if you are like a lot of people, you may have some products at home that maybe similar to the ones suggested.  Ask your stylist if a product that you have at home can give you similar results.  Buy product if you absolutely love how it works in your hair!  Ask lots of questions.  Ask your stylist when you should use the product, and how much product to use.  You want to make sure you get the same results, so you need to make sure you understand the steps in the process. 

Now that you have your new improved hairstyle, vow to never let your hair become your security blanket.  Hair does not make you or break you.  Most of my clients find their real beauty once we have pulled back the thing that they have been hiding behind, their hair.

An interesting thought to leave you with!  Is your hair hiding your true beauty?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Mainly in the fear of a hairstylist not listening, like mine for the last haircut.

    I'm simply curious, super hair girl Tiffony, when a client says "I like the length but just need a trim", what exactly does "trim" mean?

    I propose a hairdresser-client dictionary!!!

    Next time I'll be smart and talk to you about my hair - when it grows out from being too short!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tatiana,
    The word "trim" is very subjective. When you are talking to a stylist, I think it is very important to speak in terms of measurment. I find that "trim" means something different to everyone. Some of my clients think a "trim" is a 1/4" to 1/2" of hair off; I have some who think a "trim" is 1" to 2" of hair off. So like I said it is very subjective.

    Personally I feel a "trim" is the lesser 2 of the amounts that I mentioned above. However, before I start cutting, it is very important to me to have a clear understanding of what the clients vision is. I have learned that I have to be able to hear what a client is saying and NOT saying. So that is when pictures come in handy (you know they are worth a thousand words).

    So my advice is to BE VERY CLEAR about the specific amount of hair you want cut. I have a lot of clients that come to me who say "you listen to what I want!" Make sure that you are working with a stylist who is listening to you!

    ReplyDelete